PDA

View Full Version : Calif Bay Area Scrappers! Meet-up

lbjiowa
01-10-2008, 08:46 AM
I'm going to be spending some time in the Bay Area (Marin:wave:) January 23 - Feb 4 and thought it would be fun :yes: to see if we could all meetup! :hug:If you are interested just add your note here in this thread!

I have several ideas we can explore ... feel free to add any ideas you have!

We could have a couple evening crops ... just all get together and digiscrap.
I could offer some Photoshop Classes - any level (Intro to Advanced), any topic (digi-scrapping related subjects or photo enhancement/restoration tricks, tips, techniques)
We could try an all-day affair ... maybe include some tutorials or challenges.I know SailingSue is already on-board ... let's see who else would like to come and play with us!:cool:

sailingsue
01-10-2008, 12:23 PM
This should be alot of fun. Would love to meet up with some of the local Bay Area digiscrappers. I would be very happy to teach some photography classes. We too could do a "photowalk!" Ideas could be Muir Woods, Marin Headlands, City Skyline, photos around San Francisco. Being a "native" girl, I do know some "hot spots" We could then have a laptop crop with our photowalk pics too. Open to all suggestions.

bendipez
01-10-2008, 02:25 PM
This sounds awesome! Would love to participate....doesn't seem like there are very many of us in the bay area. I'm going to las vegas from feb 1-3 but anytime before or after is good fo me.

lbjiowa
01-10-2008, 02:34 PM
Fantastic! :clap: :clap: :clap:

We have a great start, don't we! It may be quite interesting to see how many we end up with...ay?

I love the idea of a photography class and the photo-walk :cool: ... all leading into a digi-crop session! It's starting to sound like we'll want to have a couple evening sessions or perhaps an all day session. I think the last Saturday and/or Sunday in January would work for me!

bendipez
01-10-2008, 02:41 PM
This sounds great! The last sunday in january would be perfect... maybe someone can explain pse to me, for some reason i have a problem with layers.

sailingsue
01-10-2008, 02:52 PM
Yes, Sunday the 27th of January would work for me, but I'm flexible.

lbjiowa
01-10-2008, 03:20 PM
This sounds great! The last sunday in january would be perfect... maybe someone can explain pse to me, for some reason i have a problem with layers.

The way I explain LAYERS when I'm teaching Photoshop (Elements or CS) is to think of doing a scrapbook page using paper ... the BACKGROUND would be one big piece of paper and it would be at the bottom of your pile (just like Layer 0/Background is in pse).

Then ... let's just say you want to add a color rectangle 'mat' to the page and it is going to be 1/4" bigger than your photo once the photo is on top of the mat... the MAT would be the next-to-the-bottom-layer and the photo would be above that ... so ... at this point, in the paper world, you would have three layers ... the large background paper, the mat paper, and the photo. In pse it would be the same...Layer 0 (the background) Layer 1 (the mat) and Layer 2 (the photo).

And...JUST LIKE IN THE PAPER WORLD ... if you 'shuffle' your items around so the mat is on top of the photo you wouldn't be able to see the entire photo...right? Likewise in pse ... if you change the position of a layer on the layer palette (to the right side of your screen) you may not be able to see all of the photo...esp if it was directly above and centered on the mat...then you wouldn't see it at all.

The whole POINT to having each 'piece' of your layout on it's own layer is to give you the flexibility to 'pick it up and move it' digitally and independently from the other pieces in your layout.

IF you put four brads on your layout and you had them all on the same layer...the only way to 'move' a couple of those brads without moving the others is to 'cut' them away from the group (by selecting them only and then using your move tool ... or by cutting and pasting to a new layer and then moving).

When you have more than one item on a layer you will also miss out on the power of the alignment tools in pse :yes: ... they only work to align items from different layers not items on the same layer.

Hope that helps! If it's about as clear as mud...sling some back at me and we'll see what we can do to clear it up!:yes:

Tara
01-10-2008, 06:56 PM
I'm sort of from the Bay Area! I grew up there but now live in SoCal. If you ever have another get together when I'm up visiting family, I'd be all for it. I usually go up around the holidays, Spring Break, at some point in the summer, etc. Yay for Northern California!!! (I still prefer it to SoCal...by far!!!)

lbjiowa
01-11-2008, 01:03 AM
I'm sort of from the Bay Area! I grew up there but now live in SoCal. If you ever have another get together when I'm up visiting family, I'd be all for it. I usually go up around the holidays, Spring Break, at some point in the summer, etc. Yay for Northern California!!! (I still prefer it to SoCal...by far!!!)

Sounds fun! My DD, DSIL and DGCs live in Malibu so I'm generally in that part of SoCal at least once a year ... actually planning to be there sometime in April this year ... nothing is final yet ... I'll try to remember to start a Meetup Thread once it's all worked out!

I'm with you...pretty hard to beat the Marin County/Napa area of Calif!!!

sailingsue
01-12-2008, 11:08 AM
Sorry to hear Orange Sue the timing doesn't work this time to get together here in No. California. Maybe next time you're going to be up here we can organize something.

For others in the Bay Area interested in getting together for a "photo walk" and or a laptop crop we would love to have you. The date is flexible and we could certainly do it on multiple dates.

Please come join in the fun!!!
We all wish we could go to Vegas so this could be a great alternative.

pinky7
01-15-2008, 08:40 PM
I'm in for a Meet-Up when you come to So Cal! I am in Oceanside so the Bay area is a little far away! But come to So Cal!

lbjiowa
01-15-2008, 11:22 PM
I'm in for a Meet-Up when you come to So Cal! I am in Oceanside so the Bay area is a little far away! But come to So Cal!

Hey Hey! Will do! :D I'm planning to be in the Malibu area in April/May sometime...depends on some scheduling issues. Keep your eyes open :yikes: for a thread sometime in March ... I'll get something going - wouldn't want to miss out on any possible FUN-TIME! :yahoo:

PS We'll be thinking about you while we are playing up in the Bay Area!:cool:

staceywallace
01-21-2008, 08:50 PM
I am new to digital scrapbooking and would love to get together with others in this area. If there is still something on Jan. 27th I would love to come. :clap:

Stacey

lbjiowa
01-22-2008, 07:55 AM
I am new to digital scrapbooking and would love to get together with others in this area. If there is still something on Jan. 27th I would love to come. :clap:

Stacey

We are all still planning to get together ... will work out the final details next week! :yes: Glad you can join us!

SailingSue has offered to guide us on a 'photo walk' and then meet afterwards at her photography studio. We'll get a schedule posted so you can participate in whichever activities you want and have time for.:wave:

lbjiowa
01-24-2008, 05:07 PM
OKAY ... we have a group of about 7 right now (not all DSPers...but bay area enthusiasts nontheless!) who would love to get together to play with digital photography and photoshop/elements on Sunday.

SailingSue has a photography studio in San Carlos that she's reserved just for us on Sunday.

The weather is promising to be wet (now r-e-a-l-l-y ... is THAT anyway to greet a midwesterner who's suffering from snow-hibernation issues?:santa: I was SO thinking there would be sunshine:cool: ).

so...

what do you all think?
what will your Sunday schedules allow? when can you join us? when do you need to be home?

all that 'detail' stuff ... guess we should start working through it and come up with a cohesive plan. Post a note in this thread and in short order we should be able to get this group organized and ready for a day filled with learning, play, and lots of fun!

I'm really looking forward to meeting my DSP friends in person!!!!!!!:cool: :cool: :cool:

bendipez
01-24-2008, 06:23 PM
I'm in .... I can join up around 11:00 and have all day to play

lbjiowa
01-24-2008, 06:40 PM
I'm in .... I can join up around 11:00 and have all day to play

:clap: :cool: :clap:
YAY! We have a 'start time' ... how about the rest of the group? Anyone else have a preference on starting time...ending time?

I still have to work out my details with the sister...so as soon as we've figured out our Sunday needs I'll add my post on availability!

Can't wait!!! ... well...ok...I CAN wait...I just don't WANT to wait!!!

sailingsue
01-24-2008, 08:56 PM
Hi All, Sure looking forward to our get together on Sunday. 11am works fine for me too. I sure wish the weather was going to be better. Since weather is going to be such a problem I was thinking I could teach some basic studio lighting techniques and how you can incorporate these techniques while shooting in your home or outdoors. If others have a particular interest I can see if I can cover that too. Please post all your ideas. It would be helpful for me to know what type of cameras / flash units people are using so I can take that into account. If the weather should improve there is a nice park nearby and even a marsh area that has lots of wildlife. I was thinking we could spend the first few hours taking pics and then we would have a laptop crop at the studio too. Knowing how addictive this can get and how we could lose track of time, I have a feeling this would definitely go into the evening hours. All this is very flexible and if some just want to do photos and not the crop that's all fine too. Please post what you would like to do and all your great ideas. Please PM me so I can give you the studio address in San Carlos. Can't wait to meet all the DSP'ers. Sue

staceywallace
01-24-2008, 10:14 PM
I am not sure if I will be able to make it so I will work around what everyone else is doing.

pinky7
01-25-2008, 09:04 AM
I am jealous! But have fun! I can't wait to see your photos!!!

lbjiowa
01-25-2008, 05:47 PM
I will be prepared to help anyone during our 'laptop crop' time with questions on Photoshop/Photoshop Elements ... like adjustment layers (for spot coloring, extractions, levels/lighting/contrast/depth of field/hue, etc), masking, blending modes, filters etc.... exploring ways to take our photos and change them from "great" to WOW!

lbjiowa
01-25-2008, 05:49 PM
I am jealous! But have fun! I can't wait to see your photos!!!
Oh Pinky...so sorry you don't get to come and play too! We'll be thinking of you and will certainly post some links here in this thread to share our projects. Maybe you'll get to join in the fun sometime in the future. (On the chance that you are in the southern calif area...I will be there sometime in April/May timeframe and plan to organize a meetup ... watch the forum!)

bendipez
01-25-2008, 06:46 PM
Forgot kittycat has vet apt at 10am sunday so i'm not sure what time i can be there.
It may not be till around 12:30 if that's ok.

sailingsue
01-25-2008, 06:53 PM
All course that will work, since we are going to be at the studio. Whatever time you can make it will work. So glad you're coming! Sue

sailingsue
01-25-2008, 06:57 PM
For those that are planning on coming please PM (private message) me so I can give you the address. Sue

Scrapping4Him
01-25-2008, 06:58 PM
So wish I could make it to have fun with you all!!! Not sure my DH would understand my need to drive 5 hours one way let alone have me gone for more than 24 hours :rolleyes:

sailingsue
01-25-2008, 07:10 PM
Scrapping4Him, So sorry you can't make it, but I too would have a hard time justifing it too. If you do travel up this way maybe we could plan another get together. Sue

lbjiowa
01-26-2008, 10:11 AM
We may all want to be prayin' for the rain to stop so we don't need an ARK to get across the bay!!! (I'm coming from Marin ... and was depending upon the ability to arrive in a 4-wheel-type-transportation-mode!) oh me oh my! Flooding last night wasn't too far from my sister's home...

ima
01-27-2008, 04:59 PM
Oh, No!!! I live in Fremont (CA) but am leaving the country in a couple of hours :cry:

sailingsue
01-27-2008, 10:24 PM
Ima, so sorry you missed our Bay Area get together. We really had a great time and it was so nice meeting our cyber buddies in person. We probably spent more time socializing but it was so great networking with them. Ibjiowa is a wiz at photoshop and was great at sharing some of her expertise. The weather was ugly so the photowalk wasn't a possibility. We all would love to get together again and really hope that you could join us next time. Will post hopefully soon our next get together. Bendipez is leaving next weekend for the big Vegas DSP get together so will be anxious to hear all the scoop.

lbjiowa
01-28-2008, 01:35 PM
Oh, No!!! I live in Fremont (CA) but am leaving the country in a couple of hours :cry:

Oh Ima! SO sorry you couldn't join us ... we had a FABULOUS time! ... didn't we ladies?!

I'm in the Bay area until Feb 5th so will be HAPPY to do another meetup and of course, if anyone wants to sign up for some Photoshop classes...even BETTER! (I have a macbook to pay for ... teehee!!!)

Topics we covered yesterday (just as a reminder for everyone...)

Clipping Masks - THE ONLY way to go!!! totally 'non-destructive' method of designing your pages. Remember to create a clipping mask in PS CS or Elements you need to make your 'mask' area on a layer below your image layer (select area/shape for the mask, fill with any color, then Deselect). Once mask shape is approximately what you want, position your mouse above the line the two layers share in the layers palette. Press and hold your ALT key ... your cursor will turn into an icon that looks like a witches couldron ... left click once. The image layer's thumbnail will shift slightly to the right in your layers palette and a downward bent arrow will appear to the left of the thumbnail.

Once you've done this you can change the size and shape of the mask, you can use your move tool to move the mask or the image around ... for example...if you wanted to move the image to be more 'centered' or maybe you want to enlarge the photo for a tighter 'crop' ... this is a great way to do that without actually deleting the area of the image you don't want to view ... just in case you later decide you need just a bit of the image back.

Quick Keys to Remember!
M to activate your marque tool
shift M to rotate through the marque tools (switching from rectangular marque to eliptical marque etc...)
V to activate your MoVe tool
d to reset your foreground and background colors back to black and white
x to switch your foreground and background colors around

Alt + marque to anchor your selection in the 'center' of your selection area.
Shift + Alt + marque to anchor your selection AND create a fixed aspect ratio area.
Ctrl + D to deselect

THANKS for a very nice afternoon/evening all!

lbjiowa
03-01-2008, 03:11 AM
I just got my spring DGC visit scheduled! I will be in Thousand Oaks/Moorpark (NE LA area) April 23 - May 9. Would LOVE to do a Meet-Up with anyone who's interested. I'm thinking we could try meeting in an internet cafe or a yummy coffee shop (maybe down in the Malibu area? or Simi Valley? or Ventura? ... maybe ALL of the above!... hey! why not! the more the merrier!):tup:

Add your note to the thread and we'll see if we can get a group going!:yahoo:

On the chance that anyone is interested...I would be happy to offer some personal lessons while out there...PM me on that...or put note here and I'll get back to you.:yes: