PDA

View Full Version : Looking to relocate to a warmer area, can anyone give me an idea?

blkdog70
10-26-2009, 01:48 PM
Due to recent health concerns for my youngest son, we are going to have to relocate from Indiana to another state. I've had people tell me California or Arizona is nice year-round. Can anyone offer some advice on an area in either of those states that would be a good place to live? The weather basically has to stay warm year round, nothing below 50 degrees daytime temp. during winter. If anyone has some suggestions I would love to hear them.
Thanks!:wave:
Brenda

>>aruaL<<
10-26-2009, 03:42 PM
I think it may depend on what sort of health issues. When I moved from North Carolina to San Diego I had really high hopes that our daughters health would improve greatly. However, it didn't. It was about the same if not worse. She was in the hospital monthly, often times it was weekly. She lived in the hospital probably about 12 days a month or so. When we finally moved to the desert, it was like magic for her. We moved here 6 years or so ago and she hasn't spent one night in the hospital since then.... well, except for when she was life flighted for an unrelated head injury (sports) to the trauma center. But for her health issues... not one day. When DH recently retired from the military, we thought often about moving to another state. I was too scared to risk it. She's done incredible here, Im not about to risk it. So here is where we will stay!

I hope you find a place that will work for your son!

Laura

Miss Shannon
10-26-2009, 05:01 PM
First of all, I don't know anything about the kinds of weather needed for whatever health problems you need to consider.

But as far as it being nice and 50+ degrees during the day, I live in north Orange County, CA and I love it here. I can't say for sure that it's always above 50 degrees during the day, but if it ever does get colder than that, it's very rare. I know I think anything under 60 is freezing! It does get cooler at night. It's cooler near the beach as well, so you'd want to not move too near the beach probably.

I love it here. We have good schools, and you can get to pretty much anything you could need. It's a pretty conservative area of California, and near Disneyland which is always good.

blkdog70
10-26-2009, 08:10 PM
Thank you Laura & Shannon!
I appreciate your help. :)

blkdog70
10-26-2009, 08:15 PM
Here's what I'm looking for...my son has a heart condition that recently has caused him to have circulation problems, where his oxygen level bottoms out. Our cardiologist has recommended that we move to a warmer state to help w/those issues. Is there anyone out there who lives in either CA or AZ and can give me advice on the climate and area? If you don't feel comfortable posting here, you can PM me.
Big Thanks in advance for your help! I just know you all can help me!

Tina
10-26-2009, 08:23 PM
never been to either place, but I hear of a lot of people from Ohio who move to AZ for health issues.

>>aruaL<<
10-26-2009, 08:43 PM
I grew up in Orange County. It's a great place to live! It's got fantastic weather year round, a few chilly days (nothing like I get in the desert! It gets colllllld here!). It has entertainment, access to all sorts of heath care, decent schools, tons of employment, access to freeways from pretty much anywhere in the County. I personally prefer south Orange County, but I also really like some of the other parts of OC too...

Orange County is a fantastic place to live.

Miss Shannon
10-26-2009, 10:59 PM
I grew up in the Placentia/Yorba-Linda/Fullerton area of north OC, but I've also lived in Huntington Beach. There are really alot of great areas around here. It's a bit cooler in the beach cities of course. It was 90 degrees here today in Placentia.

If your main problem is warmth and there are no problems with allergies or dry/moist air or anything like that, I don't see why it wouldn't be a great choice.

I took a glance at weather averages for my area to confirm what I think the temperatures usually are and it would be in your temperature range. Most of the cold days December-January are in the 60's. It usually doesn't get below 40 degrees at night either. Like I said, I grew up here and anything below 60 is definitely freezing to me!

I second all of the things aruaL said, and I'd like to add that we have the highest concentration of In N Outs in the country.

blkdog70
10-26-2009, 11:09 PM
I grew up in the Placentia/Yorba-Linda/Fullerton area of north OC, but I've also lived in Huntington Beach. There are really alot of great areas around here. It's a bit cooler in the beach cities of course. It was 90 degrees here today in Placentia.

If your main problem is warmth and there are no problems with allergies or dry/moist air or anything like that, I don't see why it wouldn't be a great choice.

I took a glance at weather averages for my area to confirm what I think the temperatures usually are and it would be in your temperature range. Most of the cold days December-January are in the 60's. It usually doesn't get below 40 degrees at night either. Like I said, I grew up here and anything below 60 is definitely freezing to me!

I second all of the things aruaL said, and I'd like to add that we have the highest concentration of In N Outs in the country.

I will have to check that out...sounds good though! 90 degrees!!! It was 65 degrees here today! :cry:
What is an In N Out? I'm guessing a restaurant?

Miss Shannon
10-26-2009, 11:23 PM
I will have to check that out...sounds good though! 90 degrees!!! It was 65 degrees here today! :cry:
What is an In N Out? I'm guessing a restaurant?

In N Out (http://www.in-n-out.com), it's what a hamburger's all about. We also have Mountains, ocean, and Disneyland, which I've mentioned.

>>aruaL<<
10-26-2009, 11:25 PM
In N Out really *is* what a hamburger is all about! YUMMMY!!!

Too bad I have to drive over an hour to get one! Drats!

bendipez
10-26-2009, 11:29 PM
Hey, it was 76 degrees here today !!!!
Northern California is beautiful and we're way more civilized than
SoCal (uh huh....I said it and I'm now in big trouble....lololol)
however it may be a little too rainy and cold from December to March...
but might be an area to consider......

blkdog70
10-26-2009, 11:37 PM
You girls are making me hungry! And I need to get to bed....:D

Mountains, ocean AND Disneyland.....sounds like Heaven! :lol:

In N Out (http://www.in-n-out.com), it's what a hamburger's all about. We also have Mountains, ocean, and Disneyland, which I've mentioned.

Penny M
10-27-2009, 07:07 AM
You've made me want to move there!

>>aruaL<<
10-27-2009, 08:36 AM
Oh as much as I love my little desert town, I must say that I woke up to roaring winds today. Not even sure my teenager is going to be able to drive herself to school today.... she might be blown off the road (literally!).... hehe. I think I totally jinked myself yesterday! That is the one thing that stinks here.... the winds. We have winds all the time and often times it ain't no little breeze....I hate this part. I wish she was at the brand new high school right across the street, but nope she's not.. instead she's nearly 45 minutes away down the highway. Drats!

bludlfn003
10-27-2009, 09:43 AM
My great uncle decided to sell his half of his and my grandmothers house on martha's vineyard because when his wife retires they want to move to santa fe because of the weather. He has had 2 back surgeries and is in the beginning stages of parkinsons disease. He traveled there to visit family and said that the climate did wonders for his aches. I personally haven't been off of the east coast, even though my dad lives in alameda CA, so i don't know from experience just heard thru the grapevine

Miss Shannon
10-28-2009, 04:20 PM
My great uncle decided to sell his half of his and my grandmothers house on martha's vineyard because when his wife retires they want to move to santa fe because of the weather. He has had 2 back surgeries and is in the beginning stages of parkinsons disease. He traveled there to visit family and said that the climate did wonders for his aches. I personally haven't been off of the east coast, even though my dad lives in alameda CA, so i don't know from experience just heard thru the grapevine

Don't worry, I had never been to the east coast until my honeymoon last year.

scrapper09
03-22-2010, 02:04 AM

Have you moved yet ?? Would like to know where you decided to go ;)

How about moving to Australia - it's warmer over here :cool:

blkdog70
03-23-2010, 08:59 AM
Have you moved yet ?? Would like to know where you decided to go ;)

How about moving to Australia - it's warmer over here :cool:

Haven't moved yet....just got back from Florida. I think we might settle there. In Ocala. It's centrally located, so not too cold but not too hot either. Well, I hope not. Since I only visited in Spring, not too sure how summer will be. :) AZ turned out to be bad for my son's respiratory system. Now, just to sell our house here. :eek: That might be awhile in this economy. Thanks for asking about us. :wave: Australia sounds really nice, but I can't leave the states. My family is having enough of a fit that I'm possibly moving several states away! lol :lol:

Noremacc
03-23-2010, 10:36 AM
I popped in this conversation at the right time. I was going to jump up and down and say Hey, what about Florida! We have the ocean, the gulf, and Disney World too… (no mountains, pretty flat land, but where else could you see a sunrise over the water in the morning (the Atlantic) and a sunset over water (the Gulf of Mexico) at night.) You can’t take this years winter as an indication, because it was our coldest winter on record. Normally we are in shorts in December, short sleeves in January, and a sweater in February.

Ocala is a beautiful area, horse country. (and not as expensive as SoCa) I am south of that about 2 hours.

Tara
03-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Not California?! Bummer!!!!!! This is the first I saw of this thread and I was going to jump in with the votes for CA - - except that our budget and government are a mess - so maybe it is better that you are looking at Florida! Even there, though, I imagine it is best to avoid the beach areas - - they always get colder!

Noremacc
03-23-2010, 12:35 PM
Actually, I don’t know why, but I am only about 2 miles from the gulf and we don’t seem to get as cold as more inland. I am on a peninsula and my county is always 2-5 degrees warmer in the winter than countys around us. But the Gulf of Mexico doesn’t get as cold as the Pacific or even the Atlantic, so our water breezes are warmer.

blkdog70
03-23-2010, 03:34 PM
I popped in this conversation at the right time. I was going to jump up and down and say Hey, what about Florida! We have the ocean, the gulf, and Disney World too… (no mountains, pretty flat land, but where else could you see a sunrise over the water in the morning (the Atlantic) and a sunset over water (the Gulf of Mexico) at night.) You can’t take this years winter as an indication, because it was our coldest winter on record. Normally we are in shorts in December, short sleeves in January, and a sweater in February.

Ocala is a beautiful area, horse country. (and not as expensive as SoCa) I am south of that about 2 hours.

**It is very pretty there. :) I agree about the winter, all the locals I talked to said it was a freaky year. lol But, then again, it was everywhere this year!! What city are you in? I drove down to Orlando/Disney area. But, I didn't care for it there. A friend of ours has grandparents in Homosassa. They love it there. He says the gulf side is warmer too. We are trying to stay central cause of the hurricanes. lol We don't want to have to evacuate if possible! :D

Noremacc
03-23-2010, 05:28 PM
I live in the Clearwater/St. Petersburg area. It is a lot more populated than some of the northern counties. But we also have some of the best beaches.

We have been very lucky in the way of hurricanes! Even in the year of all the hurricanes (2004), we were told 3 or 4 of them were heading right for us, but then they changed course at the last minute.

It is rumored that this area is blessed from these storms by ancient indians because they had burial grounds and temples here. Scientists say it has something to do with the mouth of Tampa Bay. All I know is the last time we took a direct hit from a hurricane is back in 1921. We have felt the effects of others, just not a direct hit.

blkdog70
03-23-2010, 07:03 PM
We have family considering Tampa, so that would be close for us. Hmmm.....you gave me something to think about. Thanks for the info. :D

chanmansmom
03-23-2010, 07:29 PM
We live in a suburb of San Diego Ca.It's fantastic here!! Much nicer than Northern Cali by far!!! lol~(Sorry Brenda)
My sister-in law lives up there in the San Fransisco area and I can tell you that you would LOVE San Diego much better! No kidding.Plus they have rain and cold days up there.We moved to Southern California 6 years ago from Asheville N.C.
Before moving out here my daughter had ashtma and dealt with numerous allergies.Since moving out here she has No Asthma or Allergies.Her Dr. has said that California has done wonders on her health.We are about 15 minutes from San Diego..
Besides having so much to do here i.e..Beaches,Mountains,Sea World,World Famous San Diego Zoo,The Wild Animal Park and a little over an hour to Disneyland.We get to enjoy these things Year round. The weather here is gorgeous and warm year round.People enjoy the outDoors 365 days a year.On occasion we may get a few drops of rain but not really anything to speak of.When people here want to ski or play in the snow,we go up to Big Bear about 4 hours from here and get our Snow fix and come back to the warm sunshine.People that come out here LOVE it.And when my friends and family come out here to visit,they DON"T want to leave.Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.You can't go wrong with San Diego.

Penny M
03-23-2010, 08:03 PM
OK, Debbie, you have convinced me. Now I want to move to San Diego! Wish I could.