PDA

View Full Version : Contact Sheets for Kits/Collections - Help?

PK
02-17-2010, 03:55 PM
I am wanting to make Contact Sheets for a kit/collection that didn't come with one, and doesn't have a picture that shows everything as it's picture in the store.

This is the product - Scripture ABC Mega Kit (http://store.digitalscrapbookplace.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_217&products_id=590)

I've made contact sheets in the past (when missing) by just printing out the pictures on a 35 pics per page Contact sheet from my picture viewer, but it's not working with this one because all the pics are in white with transparent backgrounds.

Is there any way of making a contact sheet without going to the trouble of loading them all into Photoshop and setting them up manually?

Thanks.
PK

Kathleen
02-17-2010, 04:42 PM
I use PS CS3, and if you open up Bridge, browse the folder and select the images. Then go to Tools > Photoshop > Contact Sheet

You can fiddle with the settings a little (how many images across/down, etc.), but Photoshop will do all the work for you!

nekobus
02-17-2010, 04:43 PM
This is how I'd do it in Windows XP - I'd assume other Windows versions would have something compatible:

Go to the explorer list of files, select them all, right click and pull down to "print". Follow the prompts through until you get to the section that asks size of prints - one of the options is contact sheet. Select that, then move on to actually print the document.

nekobus
02-17-2010, 04:43 PM
or you could just do what speedy Kathleen said :D

PK
02-17-2010, 05:20 PM
I use PS CS3, and if you open up Bridge, browse the folder and select the images. Then go to Tools > Photoshop > Contact Sheet

That's what I was trying to work out earlier - but I can't seem to find a "Contact Sheet" setting

I have CS4 by the way

Go to the explorer list of files, select them all, right click and pull down to "print". Follow the prompts through until you get to the section that asks size of prints - one of the options is contact sheet. Select that, then move on to actually print the document.

Thats how I normally do it, but when it wants to print white on white and the background is clear, nothing is effectively printed.

webfrau
02-19-2010, 02:06 AM
I have Bridge CS4 with PSE8.
If I go to the Tools menu in Bridge the last item is Photoshop Elements (so I would guess you would have photoshop) within that is the option Contact sheet II. It's brilliant.

Once I select that it takes me back to PSE with a whole dialogue box to control the results.

PK
02-19-2010, 02:11 AM
I have Bridge CS4 with PSE8.
If I go to the Tools menu in Bridge the last item is Photoshop Elements (so I would guess you would have photoshop) within that is the option Contact sheet II. It's brilliant.

Once I select that it takes me back to PSE with a whole dialogue box to control the results.

There's no Contact Sheet listing there - or anywhere I've looked.

Will take a screen shot if I can.

-----------------------------

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL441/8236263/22625841/383000964.jpg

Kathleen
02-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Question ... have you ever had the option in Bridge in CS4? I'm thinking the functionality just changed from CS3 to CS4. Or maybe some option when it was installed.

I googled and found a couple things that might be worth looking at...

Create a PDF contact sheet or presentation with Adobe Output Module (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Bridge/3.0/WS0DC1130B-6864-46da-B794-71FC8CBB2258.html)
Create a contact sheet (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Photoshop/11.0/WS42C3020A-DAD1-4f92-8014-012263F3A51D.html) (looks to be a download from Adobe that will give you the CS3 functionality)
CONTACT SHEET IN BRIDGE CS4?...HOW AND WHERE (http://photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00RP3c) (read the comments in this post, this would seem to confirm that it was an intentional change in CS4, but you can get the "old" functionality)

Let us know if this helps!

PK
02-20-2010, 02:46 AM
Thanks Kathleen for finding those links.

I've never needed to create a Contact Sheet before, so I never new that it was an option (or not) with the various editions of PS I've used. And it's only since starting DigiScrapping that I've realised the usability of Bridge.

It seems that I'm going to be stuck doing Contact Sheets manually though as most of the instructions are for PDF and I can already do that from my picture viewer.

The main problem I have at the moment, is the fact that everything wants to print on white as a default and the images involved in this kit are white with transparent backgrounds, and as such, there is nothing to be seen on the resultant printout.

Oh well, I know what I'm doing tonight :P

Thanks again Kathleen - appreciate the help.

kristievcat
06-03-2010, 01:26 AM
Hey, PK. I'm new at this - once you have the contact sheet, how do you use it? I see if in the kits, but I've never known what it's for!

webfrau
06-03-2010, 01:29 AM
It's just so you can see all the individual items in the kit easily.
You'll laugh when I tell you this BUT when I first started scrapping I used to print out the contact sheets and keep them in a binder so I could see what I had. Nearly five years later and the collection has grown just a little bit. :) I don't think I'd be able to lift the binder!

kristievcat
06-03-2010, 01:48 AM
Ah, I see. So do most people "file" them with the kit or in a separate contact sheet file?

webfrau
06-03-2010, 03:22 AM
I leave mine in the kit folder but I think I have heard of some people creating contact sheet files and tagging/keywording those for search purposes.

>>aruaL<<
06-03-2010, 06:28 AM
I leave mine in the folder but I do tag/keyword it as "contact sheet" so that if I ever want to look at them all I can do so easily. Same goes for the preview page too.

I use the previews all the time, as I set up a smart collection in bridge to quickly view them when looking to see what kit/element I want to use. However, I almost never use the contact sheets.