PDA

View Full Version : Graphic Arts/ Web Design/Development - Programs(best)

~*Kiana*~
03-20-2012, 08:12 PM
I wasn't sure where to put this. Are there any graphic artists, web designers, web developers here? I wanted to know 1. what is the basic differences? 2. can one transfer into the other? 3. what's the best program (CS5 PSE PSP ect.) to use to achieve the best results?

Thanks in advance??

So like many young people, when I had the chance to attend college, I did but never finished. My original plan was Computer Info Systems. I also was very interested in graphic arts when in high school which I took for 3 years. Fast forward, marriage, kids, years later....I am going back for Web Design/Development now. I really want to know more about the field in general, and if I should go ahead and invest my money in CS5 now since I can get the student discount, or another program would be better. Again thanks!!

PK
03-21-2012, 01:53 AM
Aha - the $64,000 question

In my opinion, Photoshop is the best and can not be beaten program for Graphics - later versions are better than the earlier obviously.
That said however, Photoshop Elements has it's charm and place in the industry but certainly can not do anywhere near as much as Photoshop.

Paint Shop Pro, Corel Draw and others, I have no opinion of as I have never used them, but I have heard that they too have their good/great points.

File transfers - I *think* but am not sure, that PS & PSE can use the same files (I think I did that one time when I only had PSE to work on with a PS file) but no idea about others. Probably not transferable as a general rule though for the default file type.

In my opinion, the choice of program to use comes down to three or four factors
1. price - can you afford to buy it and keep up with upgrades
2. who else uses it - if your place of employment uses Photoshop and you need to use that there and want something for home use, why buy a different program?
3. what do you want to do with the program - Photoshop is great for many things, but Illustrator would be better for creating vector art & logos
4. personal preferences

We Scrappers use a wide range of programs here - PS, PSE, DIP, PSP plus a few others I think - we'll all have different answers for you as to which would be best based on our own experiences.

Good Luck in making a choice.

(Bonus info - I do Web Design, and use Adobe's Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Flash, & Bridge for my web design work. I also edit a monthly publication and use Microsoft's Publisher & Word for that)

~*Kiana*~
03-21-2012, 08:28 AM
Thanks so much!!! I really appreciate it!