New to Digital? Tutorials Shop Contact Us
Gallery Forums New Posts New Products Chat Freebies Contests/Challenges Calendar Club Digital Newsletter Subscriptions/Feeds Scrap The Map Your Timezone?
The Store
Tutorials Articles DSU Classes Mentoring Beyond the Layout Product Reviews Links Glossary
About Us Team Digital Contact Us DSP Blog Media Retailer Info Designers Vendors Legal Licensing Graphics Store Locator Questions? Site Map
Old 11-12-2007, 06:14 PM   #1
Jiffy
New to this place

Resolution for printing?

I have always been told to keep photos that may be printed to 300dpi....but in the tutorials section it says to creat backgrounds etc at 200 dpi. Is this high enough if I decide to print it?
Also, what happens if you creat a LO at 12x12 inches when you want to get it printed? Aren't all prints from photo places done rectangular?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Jiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 06:38 PM   #2
carlalee
Addicted to this place

Photos: 174  Users Photo Gallery
Hi Jiffy & Welcome to DSP!

Here's an article on printing. See if it answers your questions. If not please post back and someone will be able to answer. I haven't printed any of my layouts yet because my printer is icky for pictures. Hopefully that will soon change! :-) -c-

carlalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:29 PM   #3
Amber Gray
Yay I can choose my name!

Photos: 286  Users Photo Gallery
Hi! 200 prints wonderfully - really you will be good with anything over 150. Definitely check out the article. As far as square printing goes - there are sites that print 12x12 pages like sbtoshare. And you can do a forum search here for printing pages to get a lot of info. If you print 8x8 you can print from home or anywhere. To print 8x8 layouts say at wal-mart just make an 8x10 document with 2inches of blank and then your layout!
Old 11-12-2007, 07:47 PM   #4
Jiffy
New to this place

Thanks girls...I had a read and I understand now. Many thanks for your time and your welcomes.
Jiffy
Jiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:24 PM   #5
thetexan
New to this place

Jiffy,

The human eye can discern pixels from about 100 to 120 and below. That is why the lowest print resolution you will see recommended is 150. Usually, for small home prints this is fine. The highest resolution will depend on your printer. There is no point setting the printer to print at a higher resolution that the image dpi, for the sake of quality. I say again, for the sake of quality. There is also no point in making an image dpi higher than the printer can print. Now, having said that, you can achieve higher saturation with certain inks by printing about 50% higher rez than the image.

150 is for everyday, it dont matter, type of pictures
200 is the beginning of quality print
300 is photo quality
above 300 is used only with certain print situations, mostly fine art printing but with the right printer and inks
If you use 200 be sure to use 200 dpi on the image in your image software.

tex
thetexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:53 AM   #6
Peggy Brough
New to this place

Photos: 4  Users Photo Gallery
I understand the ppi and stuff but my question is do I need to save it as a particular file like a jpeg or something specific before I send it to be printed? thanks for yur help. this is for a Christmas present and I need to get it done. Peggy
Peggy Brough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:08 AM   #7
Emma
Yay I can choose my name!

Photos: 293  Users Photo Gallery
To print from your home printer, you can just use File>Print in whatever the native format of your software is.

To send it out to a pro photo printer, you'll usually use File>Save AS and choose JPEG, and have NO compression, or HIGHEST quality. Do NOT resize it first.

Typically, you have 3 copies
1. native layered format for editing
2. small JPEG for sharing online
3. large JPEG for pro photo printers

The recommended resolution for quality prints is 150-600ppi, with 200-300 being the most popular.

To print a square layout, use Image>Resize Canvas and make the canvas the standard rectangular photo size, then save that as a JPEG. The extra area you can either fill with something else, like a small photo or small layout, or just trim it off after getting the print. Costco now offers 12x12 and 8x8 prints in response to the digiscrapping community.

SELLING MY SIGMA NIKON F 10-20mm f/4-5.6 ULTRA WIDE-ANGLE LENS
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Smile!