New to Digital? Tutorials Shop Contact Us
Gallery Forums New Posts New Products Chat Freebies Contests/Challenges Calendar Club Digital Newsletter Subscriptions/Feeds Scrap The Map Your Timezone?
The Store
Tutorials Articles DSU Classes Mentoring Beyond the Layout Product Reviews Links Glossary
About Us Team Digital Contact Us DSP Blog Media Retailer Info Designers Vendors Legal Licensing Graphics Store Locator Questions? Site Map
Old 10-24-2008, 08:27 PM   #1
jessjgh1
My favorite place

Photos: 148  Users Photo Gallery
Blurb vs. Viovio!? or other for printing album/book

I'm thinking about doing a photobook or album for our trip scraps. I think I will end up with about 20 pages, but the prices for these book printing services (viovio and blurb) seem better than what I see at Shutterfly or Kodak Gallery.

Anyone have any opinions on Blurb over Viovio (vice versa) or any other company to check out.

Thanks!!

Jessica
Old 10-24-2008, 08:38 PM   #2
Leslie
I am the demure one.

Location: drinking cappuccino and patting siamese Pyewacket in cool Canberra, Australia
Photos: 471  Users Photo Gallery
Hi Jessica.

We all use different companies to print up our books. Here is the thread where we all talk about the choices we have made.

I use blurb.com and have made ten books so far since May this year and am just finishing another one.

One of the good things about DSP is that we always share so many different ways to do similar things.

Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:42 AM   #3
poohbear77
Addicted to this place

Photos: 186  Users Photo Gallery
I've gotten one book through blurb and my latest through Shutterfly. The main difference between the two that I noticed is that if you are doing a 12x12 you can't do that size through Blurb. I liked the print quality a bit better with Shutterfly, but there wasn't too much difference between them and blurb. The one I did through blurb was my very first one so I made some obvious mistakes with the margins that I knew not to make with shutterfly (you have to watch that 1/8 margin with any of the companies you go through). Prices actually seemed pretty comparable I think, although it's been about a year since I ordered the one through blurb so I don't recall and that book also had fewer pages.

poohbear77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:54 AM   #4
jessjgh1
My favorite place

I've been scrapping in 8X8 formats (since I'm limited to 8 1/2" by my printer), so I'm having challenges with that size in either one.

Thinking aloud here... I might get the 12X12 size (or close to that) and just plan on a bigger margin for each one as a workaround.

Off to check out that thread, Id don'e a few looks around and think I missed that one-- thanks for pointing it out! I knew there'd be more!!!

Jessica
Old 10-26-2008, 11:17 PM   #5
jessjgh1
My favorite place

n/m apparantly I hadn't verified my email... I tried the 'promote link' and it actually came up with a real form... and then the message.... off to verify my email, and hope it works!

Blurb- sharing photobook with others ????

For those of you that use Blurb, once you have your book done and upload it to the site, I notice I have 15 days to 'store' it there before I have to buy it- or they delete it (that's fine and reasonable) but is it true that I can't SHARE it till after I buy one copy??

The site maybe is just not working?? It looks like I can share it but if I click the email button, nothing happens.

Just curious if anyone has a quick answer. I tried the forums a little but didn't find much, so i'll search more tomorrow or figure out how to contact customer service.

Jessica
Old 10-27-2008, 12:21 AM   #6
Leslie
I am the demure one.

Location: drinking cappuccino and patting siamese Pyewacket in cool Canberra, Australia
Photos: 471  Users Photo Gallery
Yes, you make it private or public when you upload the book. I had that choice last night when I uploaded #10. I make mine private as so far all of them have had two family members in them who "don't do Internet".

When I do the two I am making for Alessandro, I will make them public.

If you want people to "view" what you have up there now, you can add them on as a contributor. That way, they can see what you are doing. Just like adding someone in as an author on your blog - they get a password and can get in behind the scenes.

Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Smile!