New to Digital? Tutorials Shop Contact Us
Gallery Forums New Posts New Products Chat Freebies Contests/Challenges Calendar Club Digital Newsletter Subscriptions/Feeds Scrap The Map Your Timezone?
The Store
Tutorials Articles DSU Classes Mentoring Beyond the Layout Product Reviews Links Glossary
About Us Team Digital Contact Us DSP Blog Media Retailer Info Designers Vendors Legal Licensing Graphics Store Locator Questions? Site Map
Old 04-17-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
carti
Here by the Grace of Angels

Photos: 202  Users Photo Gallery
How to Scan Multiple Images and Divide them in Photoshop Elements

I need help. I have Adobe Photoshop Elements 5 and wanted to scan multiple photos and then divide them. I did a search on google for a tutorial and found one tho it didn't say for what version. Anyway, I followed the tutorial however, there was one step I could not do it said after scanning etc. go to Editor and on the toolbar at top and select Edit and in Edit go to Standard Edit.Well in I guess in Version 5 one cannot select Go to Standard Edit cause no such wording there? So I am stuck and since I am not too familiar with Adobe Photoshop Elements 5 don't know what to do next? I don't know how to delete even. I have closed Photoshop Elements and when I go back to open images are still there but I can't do anything with them??
Thanks. Carti
Old 04-17-2009, 08:25 PM   #2
debilou
Feb. '11 Member Spotlight

Photos: 491  Users Photo Gallery
Can't you go into the Editor...

And in on the top tool bar there is File then EDIT....

I believe it Says "divide scanned images.... " This will take your scan and make mulitple documents from it.

If this does not work....

Duplicate your scanned image for as many images as you have scanned.

And, crop out your first image - name it.

Then Crop the second one, etc... until all the images have been cropped and named.

I know this is much slower, than "divide scanned images" but will keep you from having to rescan your documents.

debilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:49 PM   #3
carti

debilou
Thanks. I can't get into The Editor. I guess I will have to do what you suggested. I was trying to avoid scanning each one individually but might have to do that.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:13 PM   #4
webfrau
Team Digital

Photos: 1,428  Users Photo Gallery
I do my scanning from PSE5 - I use the File>import from... and select my scanner.

I guess it depends on your scanner driver but when my scanner (a Canon) dialogue box comes up it has a "multi-scan" button under the advanced options tab. Click that and it detects the edges and makes each photo a different selection, bringing them into PSE as separate images. (It sometimes fails if the photos are too close together or not enough contrast.)

Even my ancient scanner (before I had PSE) had a multiple selection tool so I would investigate your scanner options.

Failing that, as debilou mentioned, you'll just have to crop out each photo.
Good luck.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:18 PM   #5
Lauri
Shutterbug & Scrapgeek

Photos: 1,508  Users Photo Gallery
OK, I have PSE 3, so this info may or may not help! When you scan the photos, do you end up in the organizer or the editor (mine says editor at the top of the screen, in parenthesis)? You want to be in editor, my PSE starts in editor mode since I've stopped using organizer at all. Then there is a button/bar on the far right, under the X that closes the program. One says standard edit, the other says quick fix, and you want to select standard edit. Under image is where I find the choice "divide scanned photos". I just checked my son's PSE6, it's a little different, there are tabs on the right side that say 'edit', 'create', 'share' and under edit the choices are full, quick or guided. But the "divide scanned photos" choice is still under the image pull-down at the top left. I hope you get this figured out, scanning one at a time is a royal pain!!
Old 04-17-2009, 10:31 PM   #6
webfrau
Team Digital

Yes Lauri - that option is there under the image menu in PSE5 too.

I never knew that was there because I've never needed it. I might have to play with that now just to see how it works!

Mine always opens in Editor too - I hate the organiser and never use it.
I was just looking at the tabs once you're in the editor mode you want Full edit not quick fix.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:27 PM   #7
carti

Thanks everybody for your help. You each were very helpful.
In Elements 5.02 which I have it always opens in organize, how can I choose so it will not open in organize?
No where do I see standard edit under image or edit? Maybe my version does not have it.
I appreciate your help.
Carti
Old 04-18-2009, 02:54 PM   #8
guitargirl
I live at this place!

Photos: 396  Users Photo Gallery
I have pse5 and here's what I have: When I open the organizer, I can get to the Full Edit either by using the Edit menu at the top or there is an edit button in the toolbar at the top. Both of them have a "Go to Full Edit" choice. I'm pretty sure full edit is the same as standard edit.

To set it so it opens automatically in the editor: Go to Window>Welcome. At the bottom of the Welcome screen it says "Start Up In:" You can choose Welcome Screen, Editor, or Organizer. I'd guess yours is probably set to organizer

Hope that helps!
Old 04-18-2009, 03:43 PM   #9
Marriedin79
Yay I can choose my name!

Photos: 268  Users Photo Gallery
Although this doesn't address what you were asking about, they are both great tips to use for scanning multiple images. Both help the computer to go through it's manipulations when dividing the photos:

1. Be sure to leave space between your items on the scanner glass.
2. Once all of the items are placed, put a piece of brightly colored paper on top of the items.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:26 PM   #10
carti

I am pretty new to using Photoshop elements as you probably can tell so thanks for all the help. I was able to set it to open in Editor. Now I will have to play with it and see what I can do about the multiple scanning. Thanks again. Carti
Old 04-18-2009, 08:34 PM   #11
Lauri
Shutterbug & Scrapgeek

Let us know how it goes!! Scanning some of my old photos is on my to do list, and it would be nice to know if doing it thru PSE is really worth it!
Old 04-19-2009, 09:03 AM   #12
debilou
Feb. '11 Member Spotlight

Photos: 491  Users Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri View Post
Let us know how it goes!! Scanning some of my old photos is on my to do list, and it would be nice to know if doing it thru PSE is really worth it!
Lauri, How old are you old photos...

I can give you some tips... because I have done some in the 1910 - 1930 category....

This tips would probably help for almost any "older photo"... and first I need to thank several that have helped me at DSP...

But, If you scanner can... scan at at a higher resolution that 300 dsp....like say 600 dpi.

next...

When you scan... keep the glass on you scanner clean... there is enough dust on the old photos, don't need it on your scanner too.. I clean mine with those micro cloths... designed for that... be careful what you use...

Next when I scan, I cover the scanner with a dark cloth, so no extra light is let in...

After I scan and I have an image...

I use the dust and scratches filter to help get rid of any excess "stuff" on my photos...

You can use it one of two ways... if you don't have much to get rid of... you can simply

duplicate the background layer.
go to Filter > Noise > dust and scratches move the sliders until you get the image the way you like it...

If you have a bunch of dust and scratches like my photos have... PM me... it's a little more complex... but... can be done.

debilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:32 PM   #13
Lauri
Shutterbug & Scrapgeek

Wow Debilou, thanks for all the tips!! My photos are not that old, just ones I took in the 80s and 90s!! While there is some discoloration, I don't have to worry too much about scratches. I do have the negatives for most of them, and my scanner does scan negs, so I'm thinking I'm going to try that way first. I read somewhere that you get better scans from negs than prints. Great advice on keeping the glass clean, and I never thought to cover the scanner with a dark cloth! Thanks so much!
Old 04-19-2009, 04:02 PM   #14
webfrau
Team Digital

Yes, Lauri definitely scan the negatives if you've got them. Highest resolution like Debilous says - I forget what the highest resolution I can do is - something huge like 2400dpi.
It is a slow process though. I can do up to 12 negs at a time though it rarely works that way because of how the strips are cut - usually ends up at 8 or maybe 10 - I know that will take about 40mins with my scanner so I leave it going in the background while I'm doing something else like housework

I remember Janet mentioning a tip about using one of those air blowers (like you clean your camera lens with) to get dust off the negatives themselves too.