New to Digital? Tutorials Shop Contact Us
Gallery Forums New Posts New Products Chat Freebies Contests/Challenges Calendar Club Digital Newsletter Subscriptions/Feeds Scrap The Map Your Timezone?
The Store
Tutorials Articles DSU Classes Mentoring Beyond the Layout Product Reviews Links Glossary
About Us Team Digital Contact Us DSP Blog Media Retailer Info Designers Vendors Legal Licensing Graphics Store Locator Questions? Site Map
Old 01-11-2011, 06:51 PM   #1
Robyn
Designer

Photos: 614  Users Photo Gallery
Unhappy Queensland Flooding! - we are ok!

Hi Everyone

We have started getting emails from people checking to see if we are ok so I thought I had better let you know what is happening here. Toowoomba had Flash Flooding on Monday which we did not find out about right away because we had some flooding at the bottom of the hill we live on. Dean ventured into the city this morning to get milk but there was none to be had, not even condensed or longlife milk! Trucks are not yet able to reach Toowoomba so perishables are running low. We have just enough milk left for a couple of cups of coffee.

Our house is a good way up the hill so we are safe from flooding. We did get some water through our backyard because we have an easement at the back of the yard where water does go through during heavy rain. The house is much higher up on the property so is in a good position to avoid any flooding.

Further down the hill we had one neighbour whose house was threatened so Dean spent 4hrs there trying to dig trenches and things to get rid of the water in their front yard.

The devastation in the Toowoomba inner city has been terrible with millions of dollars damage done to homes and businesses. There have been 4 people killed in Toowoomba and another 6 in the Grantham and Lockyer Valley area which is below the mountain range where Toowoomba is situated. The wall of water that you more than likely saw footage of on the news, once it subsided in Toowoomba, headed down the Toowoomba range. The flooding in Toowoomba rose in the space of only 10 minutes so many people did not have enough time to get out of the way which is why the rescues were needed also shown on the footage. The water gained momentum going down the range and there are reports that it was a wall of water 7 meters high heading down through Grantham and then further on towards Laidley.

The flooding now occurring in Ipswich and Brisbane are slower moving through the creeks and rivers so most people will have time to move to higher ground. Dean has family living in Brisbane, but they live in higher areas so will be safe from the flooding. We have been glued to the television over the last day or two watching all the heartbreaking coverage.

We feel very fortunate right now that we are out of harms way! I have some photos of the water around our house and through the creek at the bottom of the hill. We cross the bridge that is under water to head into the city and it was under water for several hours on Monday afternoon and also for some time on Tuesday morning when we had more heavy rain.

I have put the photos on my facebook page because there are too many to post here. Just click here to see the photos. (just click on the thumbnails to see larger versions of the photos, or click previous and next to scroll through the photos.

I also took some video footage which I uploaded to YouTube. Just click on the links below to see the video of the flooding near our home.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSMZX7q4nlw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QqxlNWLzo0

Some of the most amazing footage of the flooding in Toowoomba is also on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYUpk...ature=youtu.be (if you only watch one video, this one is must see!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt-FT-skins (one of the first pieces of footage to be seen of cars being swept down the ‘rapids’.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEBIZ2KLsPA (keep an eye out for the man hanging onto the tree hit by the van – he was later rescued)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7rD5...eature=related (the man being rescued)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gmc8...eature=related (footage of the centre of town being inundated with water. You can see the main shopping centre in the distance.

If you want to make donations to the people in need, you can do so here.
http://www.qld.gov.au/floods/donate.html
Old 01-11-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
>>aruaL<<
I live at this place!

Photos: 165  Users Photo Gallery
Robyn, I must say that even with the heavy water, that place is still BEAUTIFUL! So lucky you are to live amongst such beautiful scenery!

Many thoughts to all, I hope the water goes away fastttttt!
Old 01-11-2011, 08:13 PM   #3
Jeanrx
Yay I can choose my name!

Photos: 1,029  Users Photo Gallery
Robyn - so glad you are safe. It is really horrible & we have been seeing it on the News over here. Let's hope it dries out soon.
Jeanrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:13 PM   #4
LKB
October '10 Spotlight Member

Photos: 301  Users Photo Gallery
Please stay safe. How do you view the photos if you are not a member of Facebook?
Old 01-11-2011, 08:16 PM   #5
rbthl
Love this place

Photos: 59  Users Photo Gallery
Thanks for sharing the incredible photos and video. So glad to hear that you and your family are safe.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:14 PM   #6
Kathleen
DET Alumni

Photos: 286  Users Photo Gallery
Glad you and your family are safe, Robyn.

Visit the DET Gallery!
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:47 AM   #7
Robyn
Designer

Photos: 614  Users Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKB View Post
Please stay safe. How do you view the photos if you are not a member of Facebook?
Thanks so much everyone, yes we are very fortunate to live where we do!

I have made the facebook album public so you shouldn't have to be a member to view the photos.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:24 AM   #8
TracyMHunt
Digital Elite Alumni

Photos: 552  Users Photo Gallery
Glad you and your family are OK!

TracyMHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:08 AM   #9
Cathiemarie
Spotlight Nov '08, Trendsetter Scrappy Winner

Photos: 1,491  Users Photo Gallery
Thank you for letting us know how you all are. We've been worrying about you all and you are in our thoughts.
Cathiemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:36 AM   #10
nanniehils
Addicted to this place

Photos: 92  Users Photo Gallery
Glad your out of harms way.
Been following it on the news.
Terrible and a tragic loss of life.

nanniehils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:41 AM   #11
ReneT
DET 11 and 12 Alumni & December '09 Member Spotlight

Photos: 991  Users Photo Gallery
Glad you are safe Robyn!
Old 01-12-2011, 12:42 PM   #12
AliceMattison
Alice in Digiland
March '13 Member Spotlight

Photos: 724  Users Photo Gallery
Glad you are safe, Robyn. We've all been concerned.

AliceMattison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #13
shazzt
DET Alumni

Photos: 793  Users Photo Gallery
Stay safe Robyn. That flooding is just unbelievable!

shazzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:02 PM   #14
mum2riley
DET Alumni

Photos: 594  Users Photo Gallery
We've been watching on the news and its just awful! So glad you are safe Robyn! My thoughts and prayers go out out to those who aren't as fortunate.