OK - I did this tutorial but, as usual, I have some questions. I'm working in PSCS2.
I'm working on a 12 x 12 canvas at 300 resolution, transparent background, foreground color is black. I dragged out my heart shape and moved it so that most of it was off my canvas and I had a nice curve on my canvas.
1) After that step the tutorial says "create a new layer" and it shows a screen shot of the layers palette at that point. The screen shot shows 2 thumbnail images - the 1st is black with a horizontal line and tiny triangle at the bottom of it, the 2nd is a grey & white image of the shape (is this a mask??) and there is a link icon between the two thumbnails. My layers palette doesn't have this - I just have the one layer with my black curve on it???
2) The tutorial then says to "merge visible". So, I created the new layer and then merged visible, and nothing changed ... so I'm not sure why I'm doing this step?? It must have something to do with those 2 thumbnails images that I don't have in my layers palette?
3) The tutorial then says "select - load selection" ... is this the same thing as doing CTRL+click on my curvey shape thumbnail? I do get the marching ants that way.
I was able to define my custom shape and name it and it did show up in my custom shapes flyout menu. But then I worked on something else (trying to multi task!!) and went back to my custom shapes, reset them and it was gone. I don't know where it is now??
So, how do I do the following:
4) Find that custom shape that I just made?
5) Create a custom shape and save it in my own folder that I created under My Documents called "PCSC Custom Shapes"? (I was always taught to save anything I created/downloaded into my own folders so as not to "lose" them if I ever had to reinstall PSCS)
6) Create an entire set of custom shapes and save that set in that same folder (and be able to add to that set as needed) and load them?
I know it has something to do with the Preset Manager. I mean, I did manage to create that first curve and it did show up in my flyout menu for custom shapes, but I wasn't sure how to get it into its own set (because I wanted to create more curves to put into that set). Then it disappeared. I still had it open in PSCS2, so I tried to save it, as a psd file, into my "PSCS Custom Shapes" folder but when I went into Load Shapes and browsed to that file, it doesn't show up as an option - but I noticed that PSCS2 was looking for "CSH" files (so do custom shapes have to be saved with this specific extension?). So, I then tried to re-save my original curve with that extension, but that extension doesn't show up as an option when saving.
I'm sorry - this is probably clear as mud.