Combining Title and Picture (PS)
by Christine Gundersen
Photoshop CS3 was used in this tutorial.
- Using the rectangular marqee tool draw a rectangle, in the shape and size desired for your picture and fill with color. This should be on a separate layer from your background paper.
- Using the text tool, create your title, using the font and size of your choice. It may be easier to use a different color for your font, so you can see it, we will change it in the next step.
- Rotate your title 90 degrees if you want it vertical and move into position so it overlaps the edge of your picture rectangle slightly. Change the font color to match the rectangle color.
- Click on your text layer, hold down control, click on the rectangle layer. Both layers should be highlighted now. Merge the 2 layers: Layers>Merge layers or Ctrl+E. You should now have the background layer and the combined layer of the rectangle and the title.
- Bring your picture into the image by dragging and dropping. Place the picture layer directly above the Merged layer.
- Create a clipping mask, to clip the picture to the rectangle/title shape. (Layer>Create clipping mask or ctrl+alt+G, or hold down alt and click on the line in between the 2 layers on the layers palette.) You can tell it is clipped because the picture layer should be indented.
- Using the move tool you can adjust the position of your picture, as you desire.
- Once you are satisfied, you may cut the picture in this shape, by merging the picture and the shape layer together.
- Finish your layout as desired, using a stroke, drop shadow or other effects and adding any other pictures or elements that you desire.
- Here is my finished LO:
- And a couple of links to some other examples.
Enjoy the Ride by Kay Butler
Chase Your Rainbows by Just-pjz
PEI Backroad by Fulltime Rver